Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Learning to read

My youngest, Bobo is a kinesthetic learner. She is social, interactive, joyful, easy going and just plain cannot sit still. It has been a challenge getting her to sit long enough to go through a reading lesson. She interrupts herself and other things interrupt her and take her focus off the page. I have noticed in the past, and keep forgetting that she works this way, that if I create a learning game in which she is moving, she stays focused for much longer and has so much fun. The simplest things can excite her. To help her count and with her numbers I would throw large dice across the room and she would run and then count the dots and tell me the number. She would do this much longer than she would sit at the table doing math on paper. A friend reminded me today to put her reading words on cards and throw them on the floor. I call out a word and she has to find it and turn the card over. When we get to the last card she needs to read it to me. We did this game 4 times in a row with the same words. When I was done, she wanted to keep going. Guess what we are doing tomorrow?
Susan

1 comment:

Melissa Stover said...

it's so cute over here.

 

Template Design © Ali of Mission Field Designs